I think I need to do the last two posts a little more justice in light of the questions that came up. I want to make it clear that I am aware that there are tons of rational, religious people who do not do the things I talk about. However, things get done in the name of those people and their respective religions and they do nothing to stop it. Mainly because its only too easy to find some justification for it in the Bible/Quran/Torah/Other Holy Book of choice. Similarly, I can probably find evidence to the exact opposite in the Bible too. So which do you choose to adhere to?

The fact that there are nice religious people should not stop me shedding light on the not-so-nice religious people. The things I choose to bring up are not one-off events that speak to anybody in particular. They are a result of what is going on in the world in general. You only have to scan the news everyday to see that everyday, somewhere, some religious person is offended by some comment/law/book/movie and is calling for it to be boycotted/banned. The idea that one groups sensitivities should dictate what the rest of us can read/watch/do is preposterous. It was preposterous even when i was a Catholic. My problem is with people who scream hurt every time something is said against their beliefs. I am told when they are opposed in such a manner, they wont take it lying down. That's fine. Actually that's great. I like engagement and debate. What i don't like is people screaming offense and using that as an excuse to shut the matter down. People that are that secure and confident in their beliefs should be more open to challenge.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

i like your last sentence. it reminds me of someone from the Leaky Cauldron's post re: Pullman's HDM - "the only way these books can shake your faith is if your faith is easily shaken." that's how ppl should be -- able to actually read/listen to something that goes against what they believe without screaming offense.
i'm not saying ppl should not get offended; of course i will be offended from time to time. i'll just pick my battles wisely. :P

Troy said...

No matter what religion you are.... 80% of the world disagrees with you.

Post a Comment