I used to think size mattered. Big was beautiful. I grew up in a spectacularly small country and the big city, the big corporation, the big university alll sounded deliciously inviting. Anonymity, anarchy, freedom. Now I realise it can also mean isolation. Now i understand the scores of social commentary that focus on those who fall through the cracks of this behemothic society. It's a kind of one-size-fits-all society that forgets about the odd ones.

Perspective is great. When my sister enrolled in college, I wasnt the happiest person. I wanted her to be a part of this sprawling university sub-culture that I was so proud of. Then in the summer time, when I had nowhere to live and a month to find my sister a place for when she came... I was shocked by the unconditional support I got from this college I didnt want my sister to enrol in. Consider that in contrast to my own school where I cannot even seem to get a long scheduled appointment to come to fruition. I've been banking on this appointment all month, only to be told the day of, that my counsellor is "sick". It wouldnt be the first time and it will not be the last time. Good thing I'm not destructive enough to stop trying. What about those who are?

2 comments:

Melinda said...

i was thinking something totally different when you said "i used to think size mattered".

that is all.

oh yeah, and york DOES suck. still.

Messa said...

that was the intention
roofl

Post a Comment